Thursday, March 18, 2010

Busy, Busy

Things became very busy for me after my last post. In my last post, I challenged myself to basically, "let go, and let God." I really hate that turn of phrase because I hear it most often used by televangelists that I dislike. But, it is a useful phrase, especially when trying to remind oneself to live by faith and know that God's love and grace are sufficient. So I remained calm about my job situation, began living each day knowing that tomorrow was an unknown. This was not easy but it is miraculous at how little time I actually had to live in the unknown - that is, the unknown about a job. Within a week of posting about how I wanted to stop worrying about everything, I got a job interview with Hearne ISD and two weeks later, I started teaching Social Studies for 9th and 12th grades! God never ceases to amaze me!

Everything about the process showed the handiwork of God. I was substituting at the high school here in town and talking with other certified substitutes like myself and I became nervous. Some of them had been subbing for 3 years and not found a permanent position! There was no way we could live on substitute salary for three years! But I tried to stay calm, remembered that "what will be, will be," and began discussing with Steven the possibility of moving to the Houston area were jobs were more available. On the particular day that I found out about Hearne, I had discussed, yet again, with another sub about how she hadn't found a job in 2 years. So on my lunch I decided to take a look at job availability in Houston's ESC region. I included my region in the search "just because." I immediately saw - "Hearne High School History teacher." Hearne is only 15 minutes away! Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has said do not email or call principals because that's a good way to tick them off and not get an interview. Instead, you are supposed to go through human resources. But the name and contact information listed was the principal. I said a quick prayer, and emailed the principal. I didn't really have anything to ask because the ad was pretty self explanatory, so I just said a little about myself and said I was interested. I received a reply within 10 minutes! The principal wanted me to fax my application and paperwork directly to him. A few days later I was sitting in the best interview I have ever had. And then.....I had to wait. It was just nearly unbearable. By this time I wanted the job so badly. But - I continued to remind myself - whatever happens, God has something for me. God will not leave me comfortless. And He didn't! Just when I was about to give up and thought I hadn't gotten the job, the principal called and offered me the position!!!!

Since the end of February, I have been teaching 5 sections of World Geography, and 1 Honors Geography to 9th graders and 1 section of Honors Economics to 12th graders. It is a really rough school and challenging every single day. But I have already connected with my students in so many ways. They don't like that they have to work hard in my class and I have already had to give detentions for misconduct, but mostly these students need someone who cares about them and their success. I have felt like I have been swimming against a current most days. Not only am I starting mid-year, I am starting mid-semester. The previous teacher left because she could not handle the atmosphere. She actually told the students she didn't like them. She gave up around Christmas and they had not learned anything since. And what they were taught before that is sketchy. I actually had a student say in detention that he had been so disrespectful because he was trying to see when I would give up. My heart hurts for these kids because they are and can be good people. They just need a chance. They feel as if everyone has given up on them, that they are prejudged, disliked, and disrespected. And the truth is, it's true. Some of them have done bad things but do they deserve to redeem themselves in our society? Of course. Are my sins less because of who I am and where I grew up? Not in the eyes of God. I think of my parents every day and where they worked for so long. My parents taught the worst of society in the prison system. And sadly, some of my students have aspirations of being in prison and some will end up there. But my parents taught offenders to give them another chance. What an inspiration.

As hard as it has been so far, I thank God for what He has given me. Like I said, every step of the process has shown the hand of God. They interviewed 12 candidates and told my students that after I was interviewed, there was no choice, that I was "above and beyond." That made me feel so great!!! God put me in a school where my specific talents will be utilized every single day. He placed me in a comfortable, compassionate, and caring staff that I can and have already leaned on for support. I am getting to teach Social Studies, something everyone told me would be difficult if I weren't a coach. And next year, I get to teach real history, either World or US! And we don't have to move away from our town and Steven gets to start school in August! God is amazing. And no one can tell me otherwise!

1 comments:

Bethany said...

This post makes me smile. (: