Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Scholarly...so far so good.

Steven and I had a great weekend. We got up Saturday and went to breakfast which was very nice and something we have not been able to do in a long time. It was really nice. Then we decided to take a look at the bed we would like to get soon. It is very exciting. We've been sleeping on my parent's twenty year old mattress on the floor since we got married. It will be great to be American again instead of Japanese. Not that there's anything wrong with it..... :)

So then we continued in our task of organizing our house. It's going slow but that's probably because we are doing it right! Slow and steady wins the race they say. We'll see!!

I spent all of yesterday basically reading. It's good that the triplets I keep mainly like to play with each other. It gives me time to read and make notes. They like to hear what I'm reading about occasionally and then go back to riding their new bikes or being knights. Keep triplets is definitely different than any child care I've ever done. They prefer each other's company in play and tend to speak for each other. The good news is, if I don't know what one of them is saying, there are two other guys ready to explain. They really are good kids. Mischievous, but good.

Friday I made a huge mistake in my list of things to do. I went to the county office I needed to go by, I bought books, got my parking sticker for the campus police, and all in the middle of very, very cold, hard rain. But...I forgot my mom at her doctor's appointment. I felt so bad. She had asked me on Sunday to pick her up but from Sunday to Friday, it completely left my brain. With starting school, learning to commute, financial aid chaos, working and every day life, I just forgot. She was really nice about it though. And she did get home safely. In some ways it is indicative of how my life has changed. In the past I've dropped everything to help when my dad was in the hospital or needed to go to the doctor or Mama needed someone to come help. And I wanted to help, but dropping everything put me way behind in school and in a dangerous position with my GPA. I am working very hard to regain what I've lost. It is an uphill battle all the way.

So far I am doing better than ever in school - although, this can't be qualified yet because I haven't technically received any grades. But I am not only where I'm supposed to be with my homework, but I'm ahead. And I have done outlines of everything I've read which is new for me. Being ahead is new too. I'm not taking any chances.

In one of my history classes we are reading a book called Sam Houston by Haley. We are supposed to do a project over the Sam Houston Memorial Museum this term so I think I have a leg up on the class. I did, after all, work with the museum for 7 years as both a volunteer and a member of the staff. So this should be fun!

So things are still up - as long as I don't leave any more important people behind...

0 comments: