Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy New President Day!!!

I think today is a wonderful day. I am so glad to see Americans coming together and taking notice of this historic event. All inaugurations are historic and I wish that all of them have this much attention in the future. It seems to me that Americans have become more involved in the voting process through this election which is a long time in coming. Growing up I was taught that politics is dirty business and as a church member, the church is first and most important. I believe that with my whole heart. However, while we are not of the world, we must live in it. I know that I will never agree with any president 100%. Even amongst our fellow brethren of the church we do not agree 100%. Yet we still support one another. My prayer for our new president is that he will lead with an humble heart and with America's best interest in mind.

What an amazing day for us as Americans! No matter how a person feels about Obama on a personal level, I don't see how anyone can deny today's significance in the journey for Civil Rights. Ok, ok...I know I'm white and didn't live through the 1960's but it seems to me that the Civil Rights Movement was not beneficial just for racial minorities. I suppose I look at it this way: If a black man had the right to vote but was kept from voting through tests and poll taxes, what would keep the government from imposing something similar upon me at any given time in the future? Are any of us truly free if every one's rights aren't protected under the Constitution? I say no, but that's just my opinion. I can understand how the people who did fight for Civil Rights in the 1960's see today as a major breakthrough and I feel today is historically significant. Good grief, Kennedy caused a major stir just because he was the first Catholic president. And in my opinion, race has played a greater role in our history than religion anyway. So I feel today is significant based on that premise. Of course, to be devil's advocate one could say that Obama is just as much white as he is black. But as we discussed today in one of my classes, even into the 1980's a person who was 1/32nd black was labeled black on their birth certificate. I say that's just crazy.

So I am glad for our new president and happy to see such a wonderful event in my lifetime. I pray for Mr. Obama's safety and above all, that God watch over us all in this experiment of democracy we call America.

0 comments: