Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Out with the old....

Well, another year has passed. Usually I make a big deal about the new year and it feels like a definite closing of one thing and the opening of the other. But for some reason, January 1st seemed like any other day. It didn't really feel like a new beginning, just a continuation of something that already existed. I suppose it could be that I've already been mentally living in 2009 for months. By that I mean, everything I've worked for in 2008 was to prepare me for 2009 and graduation. All of my hard work at school has been to help me get into methods this spring which then allows me to student teach this fall and then graduate in December. I predict that the transition from 2009 to 2010 will be more solidly defined because it will not just be the end of a year, but also the end of a very long and hard journey in my life. And of course, the beginning of a new journey that will bring new and exciting experiences to my existence. Here's hoping and praying for a blessed year for our family, our friends, our church and our country.

We did really enjoy the new year holiday. We went to Austin to visit my sister and her family. We sang in the new year at their church which my brother-in-law pastors and coincidentally, where my other sister's in-laws are members. We got to spend time with both sisters' families, and my mom who also came up. My dad is still too weak to travel from the staph infection, so unfortunately, we weren't all there. Otherwise, it was a really good visit. I love seeing my oldest nephews. They are growing up and are practically teenagers. In fact, Zachary who is the oldest, is almost the same age I was when his mom told us she was expecting him. That just seems impossible! On New Year's Day, we only got to see them for a little bit because they were leaving to go to the Cotton Bowl with their dad and grandfather. Needless to say, they were pretty darn excited! So with them gone, Mama decided to take Paula, Steven, and me to lunch which was a great treat! All in all, it was a really good holiday.

Christmas was also really great. It was the first time in my life I was home without company on Christmas day. I never thought I would like it, but I did! Growing up we always had my dad's family over for Christmas and as an adult, I've either gone to my mom and dad's or to Steven's parent's homes. This year, we really enjoyed being at our home and sharing the day together. I am not ashamed to say, we stayed in our PJ's ALL day. It was so, so nice. I made a full turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and gravy and yes, we enjoyed it in our pajamas! Steven's big surprise present from me was an XBox 360 that he's wanted since we got married. Every Christmas we haven't had the money and he didn't think he was going to get it this year for the same reason. And also because I told him specifically he wasn't getting it. I'm so mean! Actually, at the time I told him that, I didn't think he would get it but then after Thanksgiving, my mom helped me buy it. The look on his face when he opened it was PRICELESS! I actually started crying when he opened it because he was so happy. So for most of Christmas day he played and I crocheted, and then we played together for a while. I think he was really glad we didn't have to travel this Christmas much which gave him extra play time over the break. He's such a good husband and I'm so thankful I could give him something he really, really wanted.

He's not the only one who got a great gift for Christmas. I have been wanting an MP3 player for awhile and I got one! It is pretty fancy - it can play videos, music, it has radio, picture storage and has a really neat LCD screen. It was way fancier than I had asked for. I'm glad I have a technological genius husband because I don't think I would have known how to use it if he didn't show me! I also got some bath stuff, a foot massager, and a neck pillow massager. I think my husband was trying to tell me I need to relax. It wouldn't surprise me because over the past year, my stress levels have been really high because of school. I didn't fully appreciate how hard I had been working until the break. Every time I'd be relaxing on the couch crocheting, I'd think, "I really shouldn't be doing this. I've got too much work to do." It's just become habit to think I've got too much to do to enjoy anything. That's another reason we didn't really plan anything for the break.

We did get to see my family the Saturday after Christmas. We all got together at my sister Olivia's house and had dinner and exchanged gifts. My Mema and Daddy did get to come to that so we were all there. It was probably one of the best Christmases we've had in a very long time. We were truly blessed.

Speaking of Mema and Daddy, they are still not doing very well. Mema is back in the hospital with another colon obstruction. They don't want to do surgery this time and are trying to dissolve it. However, they did have to put her under anesthesia to insert the tube down into her stomach to drain it. They don't like to do that but they were having a difficult time getting it in while she was awake. She really hates that tube. The last time she had to have it, she pulled it out and then like a little kid said it was an accident. She's too funny sometimes. There is no way she pulled that out by accident. It's about 2 feet long. The older she gets, the more child like she becomes. My mom reminded the hospital staff that she did that last time so they are being extra watchful. With her, we are just watching and waiting to see if the obstruction will dissolve without surgery.

As for my dad, he is really weak. He's been on a machine that drains his wound for about two weeks. He's been having allergic reactions to something though and the wound was really red yesterday when the home nurse visited, so they are taking him off of the machine for a few days. Between the wound and the allergic reactions, he's had almost no energy. He and Mema really need prayers. And of course, my mom who is the glue which holds everything together could use some extra prayers as well. Every time I talk to her she sounds exhausted. Besides taking care of my dad and Mema, she also works full time teaching in the prison system. Either of those elements alone would be too much but together, I cannot see how she does it. She's pretty special.

Lastly, I don't think I reported my grades for the fall semester. I ended up with all A's and one B. That's the best I've done in a very long time. On my Grammar final, I made a 105 and on my Religious History final, I made a 99. I now have a qualifying GPA for methods and I've done everything else they told me to do. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the people in charge of methods. I sure hope they hurry because school starts next Monday!!! And here we go again....

0 comments: