Monday, October 6, 2008

Home again, home again...

This weekend Steven and I went to visit some of my family in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and had such a wonderful visit! We stayed with my cousin Virginia who I hadn't visited with in several years and I got to meet her two youngest children who are just so adorable. Visiting with her was like time hadn't passed or like we'd never really been apart. It's so amazing how that happens with some people. You're just kindred spirits and you have a connection I suppose.

We arrived Friday and stayed up way too late but we were having so much fun. It's been a long time since I stayed up past midnight. So the next morning we slept in a little, then everyone was up and very hungry! So they took us to a neat little restaurant called "Rise and Shine." They had such yummy breakfast with everything you could possibly want. I had eggs, bacon, a biscuit with real gravy (it didn't taste like powder gravy so it was "real"), and of course, grits. I can't pass up grits. Needless to say, Steven had to help me eat all of that but I tasted everything and it was good! The pancakes that the others got were so huge, they were a breakfast by themselves even though they were considered a side item. And the price was unbeatable. I think when we go back and visit, we may just have to request Rise and Shine again!

After breakfast, or brunch rather since we kind of slept in, we met up with my cousin Angela and her husband and son to ride a train around Fort Worth. I was a little skeptical about the train because I have a fear of open vehicles ever since I had an accident with a golf cart a few years ago. I wasn't driving but that's a story for another time! The train turned out to be really fun and a neat way to see the city and since Steven and I had never been to Ft. Worth, we really enjoyed it.

When we were through with our excursion, we went back to Virginia's house and Paul grilled some of the best steaks I've ever had. They were so good! He shared his marinade recipe with us so we may have to try it out soon. We were so tired from staying up so late the night before, after dinner, Chip and Angela went home and we all crashed. It was a really good day - one of the best I've had in a very long time!

Sunday was wonderful as well. Marina, Genya's oldest daughter, was baptized yesterday which was one of the reasons we were visiting them. She joined the Dixie PBC where my Uncle Thomas pastors but since they don't have a baptistery, they held services as Denton PBC where Elder Vernon Johnson is the pastor. It was Elder Townsend's appointment and he shared the time with Uncle Thomas so we were able to hear two really good sermons. After church we all went to have lunch. I cannot describe how wonderful it was to be with everyone - Uncle Thomas, Aunt Lisa, Genya, Paul, Angela, Chip, Thomas A. and all the kids. I don't even know how long it's been since I've been with all of them at once. It is amazing how wonderful God is. All things are possible through Him. Two months ago I would have said I would never be with them all at once ever again. I am so thankful and overjoyed that this is not the case!

After lunch we went to Angela's house because it was close by. We were only supposed to stay a little while but that turned into a few hours. I had planned on doing homework Sunday evening but ... oh well! Steven was really sweet by driving most of the way home so I could do some reading even though he had driven all the way up there Friday and done all of the driving throughout the weekend. He's so good to me!

So now Angela and Virginia have to come visit us! They said they will and I sure hope they do because we had such a good weekend. Now it's back to the grind but at least it's with a happy heart!

1 comments:

Latane Barton said...

What a wonderful weekend with baptizing and family and good food. You just can't beat all that.