Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This week so far has been challenging on several levels. School of course is the main obstacle because I had a test Monday, a mini-research essay (exam equivalent) due this morning, and as usual, tons of reading. I'm keeping up but I've been having to stay up late to finish everything and I just don't do well when I don't get enough sleep. Last night I didn't get in the bed until 12:45 AM and on school days, I'm supposed to leave my house at 6:30 AM and am "supposed" to get up at 5:30. That's at least when the alarm goes off. Some people may be able to do this, but I'm not one of them. I decided I could sleep until 6:00 AM if I got coffee and breakfast on the way to school but unfortunately, my mother decided I didn't deserve to "sleep in." She called at 5:30 this morning. 5:30!!!!! I don't know about anyone else, but if someone is calling me that early, it better be for an emergency. She has a habit of calling my sister and I between 6:30 and 7:00 AM but lately she's been pretty good about waiting until the evening to call when we are home - most likely because I protested by not answering.

But this morning she called at 5:30 - (repeated for emphasis). Chickens don't get up this early. Cows are still sleeping. Our bedroom phone charger is on Steven's side but the phone wasn't anywhere to be seen. Being a very good husband he got up to look for it because I said, "If someone is calling this early, it's probably an emergency." I was thinking that something happened to Daddy or my grandmother since they both have been sick this week. He couldn't find the phone and it quit ringing so I had to get up and go listen to the message in our study. I don't know why it my mom considers it so urgent to call me at 5:30 in the pitch black morning to tell me she has some mail (of the junk design) for me even though she will see me later in the day! No way was I going to call her back for that. It may be rude and I'm sure some reader is saying how disrespectful I am, but for goodness sake, that's just nuts. I am just not in a good mood at 5:30 AM.

On a less selfish note, one of our deacons in our church at Fellowship passed away on Monday. Although I know he is much better off and no longer suffers from the ailments that plagued him for several years, I am still saddened at this loss. He is someone I literally knew my entire life. He and his wife were very special in my youth and are still special in my adulthood. Steven and I sit by her at church and even though he was ill for a while, I know it must be hard for her to lose him. Please keep Sister Millie and their family in your prayers.

1 comments:

Angela Griffin said...

I just read your post about Brother Jimmie passing away. I'm so sad to hear this. I will keep sister Millie in my prayers.