Monday, February 11, 2008

Very short weekend....

I don't know about anyone else, but my weekend was way too short. I hardly got anything done it seemed. Maybe it was because there was so much to do.

My mom asked Steven and I to come help her clean out her garage on Saturday but I had so much reading to do this weekend, I just really couldn't. My sister and her husband did go Saturday to help but no one ended up cleaning the garage, so it was ok that we had other things to do. So Sunday after church we all worked to help sort out the mess.

There were several boxes of old toys from when my sisters and I were young and it was really neat to go through all of the old Barbies and baby dolls. We had to split up a lot of the toys and it was interesting to see that we still fight over the same things today that we fought over as kids. There was a "fur" coat for Barbie that we used to argue over who was going to get to use on their Barbie and we had a mini-spat over who should get it. I mean - I do collect Barbies after all, so I feel I had a very valid argument. But unlike in the old days, we compromised and really enjoyed going through our old stuff.

Something that I found interesting was that I have been a historian my whole life. Cruel people call it being a pack rat, but I prefer lover of history. I found letters from friends, some I still know, some I dont, letters from my Aunt Muriel and Aunt Joyce, concert programs, metals, report cards, art work, post cards, certificates, and lots of other things that show different points of my life. The most intriguing thing is when surveying all of it is that almost everything I saved, most of it is history oriented. I found archeology magazines I used to get when I was 10 or 11, bulletins about museum events, mini-books on the mummies of Egypt, and tons of newspaper clippings of events like the death of Princess Diana, JFK Jr., etc. Plus I found old notebooks and papers from as far back as kindergarten. One particularly funny piece was an "About Me" project said, "My parents and Paula and Olivia are important to me. I want: Olivia to have a good birthday but she should not have a boyfriend." Steven thought that was really funny.

There were several things I found that I had wondered where they were. My cousin Angela drew me a beautiful picture of Cinderella just after she is transformed by her Fairy Godmother for a birthday. Thankfully it had been wrapped up and was in very good condition. That's something that has always been special to me. I also found my "drowzy beanz" that I used to carry around with me. She's in pretty good condition too, just needs a good wash.

So even though I didn't get as much done of the things I felt like I really needed to work on, it was really neat to take a look back at happy times as a kid. But now I have a lot to do this week and I'm already, even though it's only Monday, ready for the weekend. Isn't that typical?

0 comments: